Unattended Children Guidelines
Definition of Accompanied: Parent/Caregiver must be near enough to either see or hear children who are 8 years old or under.
Definition of Unattended: Children who are 9 years old and older who visit the Library on their own.
The Boca Raton Public Library encourages children and parents to enjoy the Library and its various resources. It is our desire that the children of Boca Raton find their experience a friendly and welcoming one. While the Library Staff is concerned about their welfare and safety, the Library Staff is not responsible for their care and safety while on the Library premises. Out of this concern, the Library uses the following guidelines:
- All children ages 8 and younger must be accompanied at all times by a parent/caregiver (age 12 or older) while on the Library premises. If the child is attending a program that does not require a parent/caretaker, that person must stay in the Youth Services Area of the Library and return to the program area at its ending time.
- Children who are 9 years old and older may visit the Library by themselves.
They are subject to the Rules of Conduct. Children
using inappropriate behavior will be informed of the rules. If the
inappropriate behavior continues, the parent/caregiver will be notified
and the child shall be asked to leave the Library.
- Parents/caretakers who bring children to the Library while they attend meetings on Library property must keep their children with them or have them adequately supervised while in the Library. (Following the age guidelines in #1 and #2).
Unaccompanied child found (8 years and under):
- When child (8 and under) seems to be unaccompanied, staff member will observe to see if parent/caregiver is near.
- If parent/caregiver is not found in a timely manner police will be contacted.
Children/Teens Who Are 15 and Under Who Are Not Picked Up By Closing: The Boca Raton Public Library assumes no responsibility for children left unattended at the Library after hours. The parent/caregiver should plan to pick up children 15 minutes before the Library closes. If the child/teen is not picked up by closing the following guideline will be followed:
- If a child/teen is not picked up by the time the Library closes 2 staff members will wait with the child/teen for 15 minutes outside the building. At the end of 15 minutes if the child/teen is not picked up staff will call police dispatch to come and wait with or transport the child/teen. At that time the police will be in care of the child/teen. No Library staff member will transport any child from the Library to another location.
Adults in Youth Services Area:
For the concerned safety of children, adults not accompanied by a child may be asked to leave the Youth Services area.